I am looking for cookbooks and snack ideas as well as information about healing gut permeability. How would I assess if there is gut permeability (leaky gut) in my 8 year-old?
Here are some resources for some of my favorite cookbooks which feature “Real Foods” that have a healing effect on the intestinal tract:
All the “Paleo” and “Blueprint” Cookbooks are gluten-free, grain-free, and dairy-free. “Nourishing Traditions” contains recipes including raw or cultured dairy and sprouted/soaked grains to increase their digestibility and decrease inflammation and gut issues they tend to cause.
Here is my healthy “real food” snack list from my blog:
There are a couple ways to asses if your child’s gut is leaky or permeable.
1) there are tests which can be done. They are not cheap (apx $270)
2) Based on symptoms your child is displaying, it can be assumed that they have a permeable gut (a.k.a. leaky gut). Symptoms of a permeable leaky gut include:
- Food allergies/intolerances,
- Environmental allergies,
- Brain fog,
- Learning disabilities,
- Chronic illness,
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD),
- Other bowel symptoms (constipation/diarrhea)
Here’s an article you might like:
Symptoms of Leaky Gut in Children
If any of your children are “Picky Eaters”, I teach a great online class on how to reverse the problem:
The Picky Eater Solution